Wednesday, August 1, 2007

My Rings: Part I

Lately, I've given a lot of thought as to what defines my program. At my last two coaching stops I haven't been blessed with great facilities or a huge athletic budget. I've had to make more out of less...and to be honest I'm glad. The past few years I've had to think outside the box and develop new and innovative methods to develop strength, power and speed without the bells and whistle, and sometimes even the bare necessities.

During this process I've come to realize that my programs are developed around two concepts. The first is maximizing athletic movement. Way to many coaches get caught up in the strength/power numbers and they lose sight of the real objective. If you can't move you can't play! I'd sacrifice 20lbs in the squat for a few a tenths of a second gained in acceleration...because if you can't be in position to make a play who cares how much you squat. Granted a good strength base is required to move at a maximal speed, but we shouldn't become over zealous in our pursuit of records and miss accomplishing the main objective.

The second is effective communication. If I combined the best training minds in the business to develop a master program but I couldn't coach the program to meet the individual athlete...the program wouldn't work. Not only would it not work but somewhere along the line I'd lose the athlete from my program. Recently Bill Walsh pasted away. It was very interesting to hear what people close to him had to say. Most of the comments weren't about the x's and o's of his coaching, but they were about how he was a masterful communicator. He could reach guys and get them to do things they never dreamed they could accomplish. Thats what separates the average coaches from the great coaches.

So what do I think I can be the best at in the world: Speed development and Effective Communication...what about you?

No comments: