Sunday, August 19, 2007

Speed as a skill

I want to prevent anyone from saying or even worse believing the following statement, "You can't train speed, you either have it or you don't." This statement usually applies to recruiting situations and then is backed up by a head coach's training philosophy. Yes, it is true that all of us have a genetic ceiling and not ever joe schmo will be able to run a 10.0s 100 meter dash. But, making this statement is just like saying, "You can't make someone strong, you either got it or you don't."

I tell my athletes all the time that we are training our nervous system and not our muscles. Think about that...in any training situation we are trying to improve muscle unit recruitment, synchronization and rate coding. Well, this principle also applies to speed development. In my experience most athletes don't know how to move right and most coaches are scared to teach them. Most coaches know what efficient movement looks like, but they can't explain how to make someone move efficiently. They are scared to break down motor movements because in all reality they'll be exposed.

This deficiency really shows up in non-linear running. I'm not too big on developing at-speed or max velocity running for non-track athletes. If I can train an athlete to accelerate and decelerate correctly I believe I've done my job. Most athlete don't know how to change direction correctly and thus their on-the-field speed suffers. Not only that but they can't produce constant acceleration...what I mean is, a good athlete can accelerate for 25-30yd (minimum), a poor athlete will accelerate for 15yd and then go into some type of max-v cyclical running. This is a result of poor uneducated coaching.

If you're reading this and you're thinking, "My God that's me"...well, suck up your ego and find someone who can teach you the basics. Perfect it and then you'll be the one laughing at the coach who doesn't think you can develop speed...because your athletes will dominating the score board.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you that anyone can become faster. I do wonder just how much faster you can make people. What do you think on this matter?

Erik Korem said...

Jason, it really depends on the training age and level of deficiency. What I mean by that is, "how much fixing is there to be done". If I have an untrained 18 yr old male who runs a 5.0 40yd dash (supposing he's not 100% type I muscle fiber)...with good coaching and training he might be able to run 4.7-4.8 I currently coach Veronica Campbell (100m world champ) and we've improved her 100m time by a tenth...so improvement can always be found