Monday, February 25, 2008

Weekend Update with Erik Korem

This past weekend I went to the NFL Combine. What a great experience. Right now I'm training five of our players for the Pro Day, and so it was great getting to see the top guys in the country compete at the same drills. On Saturday I watched the lineman run the 40 yard dash and perform the other movement drills. Plus, I watched the tight ends perform the same tests. Jake Long was impressive! He's about 6' 7" and man he's lean. He did a great job of displaying his mobility and quick feet. The tight ends were composed of a bunch of specimens. I've never seen so many 6'6-7" guys run so fast. That's why they are the best in the country.

I was disappointed, however, with the overall performance of the lineman at the 40 yard dash. There were quite a few guys who went up to the line and got in the worst stance possible. It blows me away that with someones career on the line that they wouldn't prepare well.

In addition to watching the athletes I met some great coaches. I spent a great deal of time with Tom Myslinski of the Browns. All I've got to say is that guy is smart. He's a sharp coach and he's a real sports scientist. In addition, I met Joe Kenn of Louisville. Once again, totally impressed.

Quick update on my training. I was tested last week using a 7-site skin fold and I was 13.47% body fat. That is the leanest I've ever been. I hope to be 10% by late March. I'll keep everyone up dated.

No comments: