Thursday, October 25, 2007

Every Rep Every Set

I was recentely watching a video produced by Martin Rooney. As I was watching this guy coach, I felt like I was looking in a mirror. Martin's concepts weren't earth shattering, but what gripped me was his attention to detail. Martin was coaching a few guys on a warm up and it was amazing. He didn't miss a detail...Martin didn't berate guys when they screwed up, he just pointed it out and told them how to fix their error. And then when they got it right he praised them. That is how coaching is done!

During the course of the video Coach Rooney made a very simple statement about how he coaches. He said that Every Rep of Every Set is to be completed perfectly...or at least attempted with the intent of being perfect. It drives me nuts when I watch athletes go through the motions...especially during the warm up. The warm up is designed to turn on the nervous system...if you don't turn it on your body isn't going to respond appropriately to the intended training effect. And you know what? The blame for lazy behavior isn't the athletes' fault...its the coaches fault!!!

This past spring at the CSCCa convention, Mickey Marotti spoke about the Florida Strength and Conditioning Program. He made a statement that has really stuck with me...he said, "You get what you tolerate." Real simple, but its very true. If you tolerate imperfection, you'll get sub par results. If you tolerate filthy language and crude humor in your weight room...you'll end of up with disrespectful athletes. You get my point.

Think about what you are tolerating...if its bad, well fix it!

Train Hard...Erik Korem

No comments: